A soft tissue filler, JUVÉDERM® helps replace the volume that the face naturally loses in the aging process. Loss of subcutaneous fat is normal and natural; other factors like sun exposure can cause additional wrinkles around the corners of the mouth. With JUVÉDERM, patients may have another option!
In Southeast Texas, adults of all ages are finding that JUVÉDERM helps enhance a youthful appearance with minimal effort. It’s no wonder this type of procedure has increased by 274 percent since 2000!
Fast Facts About JUVÉDERM
- JUVÉDERM is primarily used to add volume to the face; popular areas of use include the cheeks, lips, and region around the mouth.
- Unlike BOTOX®, which has some medical applications (resolving migraines, etc.), JUVÉDERM is purely a cosmetic treatment.
- JUVÉDERM is commonly referred to as a “filler” or “injectable dermal filler.” There are many fillers on the market, but many are not approved by the FDA. JUVÉDERM is FDA-approved (since 2006).
- JUVÉDERM is developed from a base of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occuring substance found in the skin. Hyaluronic acid adds volume and hydration to the skin.
- A JUVÉDERM injection session may take anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes.
- JUVÉDERM dermal filler injections are one of the most common non-surgical cosmetic procedures performed in the U.S. (More than 2.6 million dermal filler injections were done in 2016 alone.)
- Many patients see immediate results. Results may last up to 1-2 years.
What Is JUVÉDERM?
JUVÉDERM is a smooth injectable dermal filler of gel-like consistency. Its base is made of hyaluronic acid. There are several unique products within the JUVÉDERM family, which each have a slightly different chemical makeup and purpose in anti-aging skin care.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC is primarily used in the cheek area to add volume beneath the skin.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE XC is commonly injected into the lines around the mouth (“marionette lines,” “parentheses lines,” or “smile lines”).
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA XC is injected into the lips to create full, plump lips – a common non-surgical alternative to other forms of lip enhancement.
How Does JUVÉDERM Work?
As the body ages, the skin produces less hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance that provides plumpness and firmness to the skin. JUVÉDERM, whose primary active ingredient is hyaluronic acid (HA), is an injectable filler that reintroduces HA into the skin, thereby stimulating the production of collagen. As a result, many people experience less sagging and wrinkling in the skin. JUVÉDERM can be an excellent option for restoring the face’s natural contours. It’s also a very versatile dermal filler; in the hands of an experienced provider, JUVÉDERM can provide exceptional anti-aging results.
What Is JUVÉDERM Used For?
Patients with the following conditions may see improvements with JUVÉDERM:
- Loss of volume / depression in the skin
- Loss of volume in the lips
- Fine lines
What Is the JUVÉDERM Procedure Like?
Because JUVÉDERM is a rather simple and low risk procedure in many cases, patients often have the JUVÉDERM fillers done on the same day as their consultation. When you come to Mithani MD, we will discuss your skin care goals to see if JUVÉDERM is the most appropriate treatment for what you would like to accomplish. If JUVÉDERM is the right choice, you may have the option to go through with the procedure at that time.
In starting the procedure, your health care provider will use a pen to mark the treatment areas. Then, Dr. Mithani will inject JUVÉDERM into the targeted areas, gently massaging the skin of the injection areas in order to ensure even distribution of the hyaluronic acid. Massaging the injection spots may also help reduce post-procedural swelling. Pain is usually fairly minimal, as all JUVÉDERM fillers contain lidocaine, an anesthetic similar to what you may receive at the dentist.
Risks & Side Effects of JUVÉDERM Fillers
Some swelling and bruising is a common side effect following JUVÉDERM filler injections. Many patients also experience redness of the skin, itching, minor pain, bumpiness, or tenderness. These side effects may last two to four weeks.
You may be able to reduce the amount of swelling and bruising caused by JUVÉDERM by avoiding the following in the days and weeks leading up to your procedure:
- Aspirin (ibuprofen)
- St. John’s wort
Additionally, let your provider know in advance if you have any allergies or sensitivities. Finally, it’s worth emphasizing that the side effects discussed above are somewhat typical of a JUVÉDERM procedure done correctly by a trained medical doctor. When JUVÉDERM injections are administered incorrectly (for example: injecting directly into a blood vessel), more serious side effects can develop.
More serious side effects may include permanent scarring, stroke, blindness and other vision abnormalities. Take great care in choosing a JUVÉDERM doctor with the proper training and experience in administering hyaluronic acid-based fillers.
What Can I Expect After JUVÉDERM?
The JUVÉDERM recovery process is fairly minimal. Avoid sun exposure, alcohol, strenuous activity, and wearing makeup for a minimum of 24 hours following your injection. Many people notice the positive enhancements in as little as 24 hours after JUVÉDERM (or whenever swelling reduces). These results may last anywhere from six months to two years, depending on the exact JUVÉDERM product(s) used and other factors.
Get JUVÉDERM Fillers Near You! Schedule Today.
For more information about JUVÉDERM fillers in the Port Arthur or Beaumont areas, please call (409) 721-5150 or schedule an appointment online. All JUVÉDERM sessions at Mithani MD are done by a board-certified M.D. – not a nurse practitioner, esthetician, or physician’s assistant. We serve patients throughout Southeast Texas, including Jefferson County, Nederland, Groves, Port Neches and Bridge City. See what your neighbors say about us!